Now that you’ve bought your iPhone or Android, it’s likely that you’re already in the app store buying games and other tools to add. Veteran smartphone owners can warn you not to overdo the application of too many, so you end up scrolling screen after screen to get something important. It’s fun to experiment with new applications while testing your new toy, but knowing exactly what you want can help make the purchase decision much easier.
What are the best applications to try? It may depend on your definition of “great” and the things that interest you most. If you are interested in keeping up with sporting results or looking for easy recipes, there are applications to help you. If you enjoy the games, you will find some that work even in the most remote areas where your service cannot communicate with you. Looking for ideas? Here are some programs with general appeal that you may want to try on your iPhone, Android or other brand. Some are free, others are paid, but all are worth exploring.
1) Google Earth on mobile devices shows any location on the planet with varied geographical and topographic information.
2) Bookworm: Similar to Tetris, this word-based puzzle game is equally addictive and has the additional advantage of helping you improve your vocabulary skills.
3) Yelp: the application version of this popular social review network helps you locate the best bars and restaurants, wherever you are. Get comments before making those reservations.
4) Amazon Kindle: with Amazon.com’s patented e-book reader, you can turn your phone into a library. Download samples from the best sellers, see free stories and buy a book anytime and anywhere when you feel the need to read.
5) The Negotiator – The version of the Priceline.com app earns cool points not only because of the difficult screenshot of Williams Shatner that opens the program but also because of the ease of use to find affordable flights and rentals for trips.
6) Cupcakes! – Who does not like cupcakes? With this clean game, you can create your own combinations of flavors, decorate and send them by email to your friends. Best of all, everyone is fat free!
7) ESPN Fantasy Baseball: consult your teams with your mobile phone, make transactions and stay updated on all the scores. You do not have to worry much about not getting home in time for the game with this application.
8) Shazam: Do not you hate when you listen to a song and you do not know who is singing? Download and launch Shazam, place your phone in the music and it will give you the artist’s information and a link to buy in iTunes.
9) Pandora: one of the most popular streaming music applications, Pandora allows you to configure channels according to your tastes. You will listen to your favorite artists together with similar bands recommended by the application.
10) Tweetdeck – On Twitter and Facebook? Tweetdeck allows you to review both, so it is not necessary to download two separate applications to see your social networks.
With these applications on your smartphone, you can stay updated on the latest news and sports, read about classics and plan a trip anywhere.